Harvard track & field embarks on its 2023-24 indoor season with the HBCU & Ivy Challenge. The Crimson host the event at Gordon Indoor Track. Field events start at 10:30 a.m. with the women's weight throw and the women's pole vault and the meet concludes with the men's mile relay at 4:10.
Admission to the HBCU & Ivy Challenge is free of charge and Crimson fans can watch all the action live on ESPN+.
WHAT TO KNOW:
- Harvard will host and compete against Dartmouth, Delaware State, and Howard on Saturday.
- The Crimson is hosting the HBCU & Ivy Challenge for a third year in a row, honoring the storied history of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU).
- Last season, the women's team placed first with 133 points, while the men's team took third with 102 points.
- The women's team begins the season as defending Ivy League Indoor champions, winning the title at Dartmouth last season. The men's team placed second at the 2023 Ivy League Indoor Championships.
- Harvard returns two NCAA Division I National Champions from last season's roster.
- Junior Kenneth Ikeji took home the NCAA Division I National Championship in the hammer throw at the NCAA Outdoor Championships.
- Senior distance runner Maia Ramsden won the NCAA Division I national title in the 1500m at the NCAA Outdoor Championships.
- The Crimson competed last at the 2023 NCAA Cross Country National Championships in Charlottesville, Va.
- Junior Graham Blanks became the first Harvard and Ivy League runner to capture an NCAA Division I Cross Country national champion, capping an undefeated 2023 cross country campaign.
- Ramsden concluded her senior cross country season by placing tenth at the 2023 NCAA Cross Country National Championships, earning All-American honors.
- The men's team placed 15th and the women's team finished in 25th at the NCAA Cross Country National Championships.
- Harvard is also sending seven runners to the Sharon Colyear-Danville Season Opener at Boston University.
- Sophia Gorriaran and Jack McDonough will both compete in the one mile race. Gorriaran will also run the women's 800m.
- Ramsden, Shane Brosnan, Ferenc Kovacs will run the 3000m race, while Ella Gilson and Blanks will compete in the 5000m race.
See original story here.